This holiday season, give the gift of Cajun cooking with Acadiana Table’s The Art of Gumbo kit. It is the perfect gift for the seasoned gumbo cook or someone who wants to learn this time-tested culinary art.
Acadiana Table makes it easy with everything you need in our The Art of Gumbo kit. First you make a roux and at the base of our gumbo kit is two jars of Rox’s Roux–the darkest Cajun roux there is. And the two 16-ounce porcelain gumbo bowls and heavy, stainless gumbo spoons make it elegant to dish up. We’ve even thrown in a 2-pound bag of our favorite Louisiana white rice—Supreme brand long grain. And to bring it all together in one convenient package, we’ve developed a set of recipe cards with 10 easy-to-follow roux-based recipes. With full-color photographs and detailed instructions, these recipes using Rox’s Roux are not available in our cookbook. Learn these recipes for gumbo and so many more classic Cajun dishes.
For Corporate Gifts! For Family Gifts!
The Art of Gumbo gift box is ready for your holiday gift buying. Buy it now on our website and we’ll ship it directly to you. Or shop locally by calling us at 337-232-8214 and save on shipping by picking up your order at our Lafayette, LA headquarters location.
The Art of Gumbo kit includes:
- 2 (16-ounce) jars of Rox’s Roux
- 2 stainless steel Gumbo Spoons
- 2 (16-ounce) footed Gumbo Bowls with handle
- 1 2-pound bag of Supreme long-grain white rice
- 1 (10-page) Art of Gumbo recipe card set
And it’s all neatly boxed and packaged securely for shipping or delivering.
And now, here’s a gumbo recipe for the holidays!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 chicken legs, bone-in and skin-on
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 cups diced green bell pepper
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups chopped smoked pork sausage, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 12 cups chicken stock, plus water if needed
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups dark roux, such as Rox’s Roux
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Acadiana Table Cajun Seasoning Blend, see recipe here
- Dash of hot sauce
- 8 cups cooked Louisiana long-grain white rice, such as Supreme, for serving
- 1 cup diced green onion tops
- Filé powder, for serving
- In a large cast-iron pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Once sizzling hot, add the chicken pieces skin-side down. Brown the chicken on one side and turn to brown the other side. Remove the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
- To the pot, add the onions, bell peppers, and celery. Sauté until the onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and parsley, and sauté until combined. Add the sausage and sauté just until it begins to brown. Add 1 cup of stock to the mixture and scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen the brown bits of flavor. Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Add enough additional chicken stock to the gumbo pot to cover all the chicken and vegetable mixture. Season with cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Add 1½ cups of roux and stir to combine. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let cook for 1 hour.
- Uncover and skim the surface of any excess oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- Sample the finished gumbo and season with Cajun seasoning and hot sauce to taste.
- Ladle the gumbo into large bowls over a mound of rice and garnish with diced green onion tops.
YOUR SEAT AT THE TABLE: If you like this Cajun cooking story and Cajun recipe then accept my personal invitation to subscribe by entering your email at the bottom or top right of this page. It’s quick and painless. You will receive an email alert and be the first to see when new Cajun cooking stories and Cajun recipes are added. Thanks, George.