Chunks of ground beef and florets of perfectly cooked broccoli come to life in this sassy, saucy combination of flavors. It’s spicy, sweet, and when spooned over aromatic jasmine rice, it could be the perfect dish.
Sometimes culinary inspiration is found in the simplest of places. Recently, Roxanne and I scavenged through our pantry for ideas for an easy weeknight dinner that was light and filled with flavor. And when I grabbed a bag of Supreme brand jasmine rice, the light bulb went off. We both agreed: rice bowl tonight!
While this recipe has Asian flavors at the base, all of these ingredients are readily available at my local grocery. The combination of beef and broccoli is always a winner, and when layered with aromatic vegetables, spices, and other flavor enhancers, this dish is just begging for a mound of floral-scented jasmine rice.
Grown and milled by my friends at Supreme Rice from Acadia Parish along the western edge of the Acadiana region, Louisiana jasmine is hybrid rice similar in taste and fragrance to Asian jasmine with a nutty aroma (the smell alone will call your guests to the table). When cooked, it has a small-grain, textural quality perfect for this Beef and Broccoli recipe.
Get inspired tonight and make this easy Beef and Broccoli with Jasmine Rice.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pound (80/20) ground beef
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugarcane molasses or honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Acadiana Table Cajun Seasoning Blend, see recipe here
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, such as Supreme
- In a pot of boiling water over high heat, add the broccoli. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until partially cooked. Remove and add to a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking and retain their color.
- In a heavy skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat, add the oil. Add the beef, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the soy sauce, Worcestershire, sesame oil, molasses, and vinegar. Season with ginger, white pepper, garlic powder, and Cajun seasoning. Add the beef stock. Stir to combine.
- Drain and pat dry the pre-cooked broccoli florets, removing any moisture, and add to the skillet. Stir to combine, cover the skillet, and set the heat to medium; simmer until the broccoli is warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over jasmine rice.
YOUR SEAT AT THE TABLE: If you like this cooking story and recipe then accept my personal invitation to subscribe by entering your email at the bottom or top right of this page. It’s quick and painless. You will receive an email alert and be the first to see when new cooking stories and recipes are added. Thanks, George.