Fireworks are flying this 4th of July at the Grahams with my Cherry Mint Vodka Soda, aka The Bottle Rocket. This cocktail explodes with flavor!
The ease of this recipe is that it only requires a few key ingredients, but to do it right takes an extra step. Fresh mint leaves are essential, and while jarred maraschinos will work in a pinch, fresh Bing cherry juice is ideal. Your favorite vodka, combined with a splash of club soda, sends this drink into orbit.
Have a blast this 4th with The Bottle Rocket.
- 1 pound Bing cherries, stemmed
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 jigger (1.5 ounces) vodka
- 1 jigger (1.5 ounces) cherry juice
- Club soda
- 2 Bing cherries, for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the cherries and water. With a potato masher, mash the cherries until their juice releases. Add the sugar and continue to mash. Once the sugar has dissolved, and the cherries begin to break down, lower the heat to a simmer and continue mashing for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture over a bowl. Press down on the solids to extract all the juice. Pour the juice into a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use for up to ten days.
- In a shaker with a tight-fitting lid filled halfway with ice, add the vodka and cherry juice. Shake well and strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes. Top with club soda and stir. Garnish with fresh cherries and mint leaves.
YOUR SEAT AT THE TABLE: If you like this cooking story and recipe then accept my personal invitation to subscribe by entering your email at the bottom or top right of this page. It’s quick and painless. You will receive an email alert and be the first to see when new cooking stories and recipes are added. Thanks, George.